Translate

Thursday, June 12, 2014

The Very Hungry Intern: Hungry for More!

As you may have inferred by the title, this post has to do with hunger. There are many kinds of hunger: ambition, lust, starvation. I'd like to talk to you about my hunger. First and foremost, I am hungry. Literally. Ever since I moved to Leadville, I have felt almost constantly hungry. And I don't mean, "Oh, I could go for a little snack right now . . ."

I mean, "I just ate an hour ago and my stomach is growling like I haven't fed myself in 24 hours." I've been told this has something to do with the altitude. I'm not even really exercising! You've got to be able to breathe properly before you tackle that. All I do is walk three blocks to work in the morning, then three blocks back. And I EAT. All. The. Time. Please, make it stop.

Speaking of food, what do you guys normally pack your lunch in? Fancy insulated lunch box? Or, like me, maybe a plastic grocery bag (I know, I'm living the high life)? Well, here's my other hunger: the hunger for more museum stuff! Look what I found in one of the other collections I am cataloging:


This is a miner's lunch pail! Imagine lugging this thing around every day. It's got the number 20 on the lid (maybe the miner's ID number at work?) and the initials WP carved into the handle. Well, WP, I'll stick with my plastic grocery bag, thanks very much.

I don't know where this pail specifically came from, but I found this article online and thought that it was a cool connection to the Appalachians (don't get me wrong; the Rockies are incredible, but the Appalachians will always have my heart): http://www.appalachianhistory.net/2008/06/every-coal-miners-lunch-bucket-smelled.html

That's all for now! I'm going to go order some Chinese food from the only Chinese place in Leadville.

The Very Hungry Intern

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for bringing the personal side of the coal miners of once into our lives today! Hope you're finding good chow!

    ReplyDelete